Photographs and text by JFC Clarke | Contributions by Darryl Accone, Johnny Masilela and Zwelakhe Mthwethwa


Home

Essays

Photographs


The Nawab Miriammen Temple in 6th Street between Grand and Bloed Streets, photographed in 1970. The Tamil League was formed in 1905 and the Hindu community built a wood and iron temple structure which was replaced by the present temple, built between 1928 and 1939. The temple was dedicated to Miriammen, goddess of infectious diseases, and is considered a fine example of Hindu architecture. The temple was proclaimed a national monument in 1982 and restored in 1991.



© 2008 - 2018 JFC Clarke. All rights reserved | clarkejfc@gmail.com | 083 960 7292